Petra MOLLET, Vice-President Strategic and international Programs, American Public Transportation Association (United States)
Dr Filip Janowiec, Lessons learned for Polish high speed railway projectcs, Cracow University of Technology (Poland)
Graduated at civil engineering at 2015 in railway construction engineer (Msc). Form 2015 to the present day, he has been involved in the implementation of large railway projectcs in Poland. In 2022 he complete a Phd in field of civil engineering and transport with honors. Phd topic was: “Risk management of additional works in railway infrastructure construction projectcs”. Actually, lecturer and researcher in Chair of Higway, Railroad and Traffic Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering CUT. Author or co-author 18 articles, participant in research projects in CUT. Main interests: railway project management, risk in civil engineering, railway construction.
Helena Matos, Senior Project Manager, Infraestruturas de Portugal (Portugal)
I am a senior manager & expert transport planner bringing over 17 years’ experience in the rail industry from across Portugal, the United Kingdom, the United States, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates. I have worked with the full breadth of rail industry stakeholders including rail operators, infrastructure managers, public agencies, specialist advisory firms and rail industry companies. My comprehensive experience has been centered around engagement with different project teams and clients to develop technical, commercial, and business solutions for rail systems which maximize the effectiveness of investments and control operating costs, whilst achieving reliable, smooth, and attractive services for passengers. I am currently coordinating the international tender for a Public-Private Partnership for the development of the New High-Speed Line Porto-Lisbon (Portugal).
Dexiang ZHANG, Senior reviser/professorate senior translator, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (China)
Name: Zhang Dexiang; date of birth: September 1963; gender: male; technical title: senior reviser/professorate senior translator; main work experience: over-three-decade railway design and consulting projects at home and abroad and overseas railway general contracting projects; having dozens of papers or translated papers and several monographs (translated works) published by provincial, ministerial or national level journals and publishing house. Employer: China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation; Address: No. 4, Beifengwo, Haidian District, Beijing City, China; Zip-code: 100038; Telephone: 010-52727876; Mobile: 13618661537; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Professor Paige Malott, Chair, Cascadia Rail (United States)
Paige Malott is Founder and Chair of Cascadia Rail, an advocacy organization supporting building high speed rail to connect Seattle and Portland, USA to Vancouver, Canada. She recently worked with Washington State Legislature to secure $150 million in funding for the state to apply for Federal high speed rail grants. Her research has guided federal delegates to recommend international best practices for U.S. intercity rail, with contributions to the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, The American High Speed Rail Act, and the Federal Railroad Administration Corridor Identification Program. She also serves on the American Public Transportation Association High Speed Rail Committee.
Paige has created communications strategies for passenger rail for over 15 years. She brings significant experience with researching and analyzing policy, project challenges and community sentiment to develop written and visual educational content. Paige is a scholar with Mineta Transportation Institute, pursuing her M.Sc. in Transportation Management, with certification in High Speed Rail Management at San Jose State University. In addition to consulting, Paige is an online instructor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), with a focus on social media strategy and executive education.
Rajendra Prasad, Managing Director, National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (India)
As a member of the Indian Railway Service of Civil Engineers, I have over 37 years of diversified experience in the project management, contract management, general consultancy, contract negotiation, construction technologies, and general administration. Experience of more than 16 years in handling mega construction projects such as Delhi Metro, DFCCIL, Railway Construction Projects and NHSRCL. Worked for 5 years as part of General Consultant for Delhi Metro. Have extensive experience of Multilateral and Bilateral funded projects by JICA, World Bank administered with FIDIC Yellow Book, Red Book and also Projects with General Conditions of Contracts of Indian Railways. Travelled across continents in connection with technical discussions, business meetings, inspection of manufacturing facilities, training programs and conferences. Strong analytical skills built on undergraduate and post graduate degrees in civil engineering from IIT (BHU) and IIT Delhi. Demonstrated track-record of unique flair for strategic planning, driving operational excellence, coaching, guiding, and managing large teams and building strong relationships at apex level.
07/2022 to Current
National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL), New Delhi,
• Head of the organization implementing the Mumbai- Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail (MAHSR), a project of national importance, costing Rs. 1.08 Lakh Crores, for introduction of High-Speed Rail (320 Kmph) for the first time in India.
11/2017 to 07/2022 Director Project (4 years and 8 months)
National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL), New Delhi,
• Overall in charge of Civil Engineering works of the MAHSR Project.
• Responsibilities included Project planning, designing of Civil Structures, preparation of bid document for all the civil packages for 508 Kms of Project corridor, award of Contracts, land acquisition and intense interaction with International Agencies such as JICA, JICC, JR East etc.
• With the implementation of the project, a completely new technology of Construction of civil structures is being introduced in India.
• Till date, Civil and Track works for entire Gujarat region i.e. 352 Kms worth Rs. 50,000/- crores have been awarded.
• During my tenure, the biggest Single Infrastructure contract in the country comprising of 237 Kms long via-duct and 4 stations of value of more than Rs. 25,000/- Crores was awarded in October, 2020.
• For the first time, Full Span Launching Methodology is being used in India for viaduct which is 7 times faster than the normal segmental construction method.
• 98.81 % of Land in Gujarat Section and over 72 % land in Maharashtra have been acquired for the MAHSR project.
• Under my leadership excellent progress has been achieved in construction of civil works and 150 kms of piles, 88 kms of foundation and 78 kms of pillars have been completed in just 18 months and works are progressing in full swing in entire stretch of 352 kms.
05/2017 to 11/2017 Chief Track Engineer (6 months)
Eastern Railway, Kolkata
• As Chief Track Engineer I was responsible for the upkeep of the entire track structures of the Eastern Railway spanning over more than 3000 Kms.
• The responsibilities included planning of maintenance of track, resource management, material procurement, monitoring and inspection.
• Brought improvement in safety and overall maintenance of track.
02/2015 to 05/2017 Divisional Railway Manager (2 years and 3 months), Chakradharpur
• Head of the Chakradharpur Division of the Indian Railways (IR) which is one of the highest earning divisions of Indian Railways having a network of 2700 track kilometres, manned by more than 22000 employees, running 130 Nos. of passenger carrying trains daily and moving over 100 million tonnes of freight traffic in a year.
• Divisional Railway Manager is a cutting edge of the Railway administration and plays a pivotal role in running IR system.
• The job profile included taking all policy decisions at the macro level concerning administration, train operation, safety, planning, security, marketing and freight management.
• During my tenure, Chakradharpur division was adjudged as best division amongst all divisions of S.E.R. and overall efficiency shields were awarded to the division for the two consecutive years 2015-16 and 2016-17.
• The division not only crossed the milestone of 100 million tons (MT) loading under my Leadership but achieved the loading of 110MT.
12/2011 to 02/2015 Group General Manager (4 years and 1 months)
Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India (DFCCIL), New Delhi
• As Group General Manager/Coordination/Eastern corridor, my responsibilities included preparation of the tender documents for international bids, scrutiny of bid documents, technical and financial evaluation for Design & Build tenders for construction of Dedicated Freight Corridor routes for Eastern Corridor, which are being funded by World Bank. The scope of work included all Civil Engineering works such as work of embankment, bridges, track etc. Completed bidding process between Bhaupur – Mugalsarai section.
• I also worked with World Bank team for negotiation for loan and project progress evaluation. The responsibilities also included preparation of bid documents for project consultant, evaluation of the consultancy bids and award of the same.
• I was also responsible for Planning, Project management, progress monitoring of Durgavati- Sonnagar Section (86 km) of Eastern Corridor double line, being funded by the Government of India.
• Completed all the civil works of Durgavati- Sonnagar section.
05/2009 to 12/2011 Chief Engineer (2 years and 7 months)
Integral Coach Factory, Chennai
• As head of the Civil Engineering Department in the Integral Coach Factory my responsibilities included all civil engineering works including the capacity expansion of the factory and overall civil engineering maintenance of the ICF.
• During my tenure, a major capacity expansion project of ICF from 1500 coaches to 1700 coaches per year costing approx. Rs. 2500 million was executed, which included planning, designing, tendering, contract management and coordination with various user departments such as electrical and mechanical department.
• Conceived and commissioned direct water supply to ICF thus ending 55 years old practice of supply from water tanker thus resulting in saving of huge amount every year.
• Introduced innovative roof leakage treatment system in consultation with IIT Madras.
06/2006 to 04/2009 Chief Engineer/ Construction (2 years and 11 months)
Southern Railways, Chennai
• I was in charge for conversion of Meter gauge railway lines to Broad gauge which involved planning, preparing tender documents, Contract Management & Project Management of important Engineering structures, interfacing with Railway related disciplines such as track, signalling, etc. and getting the clearance of Commissioner of Railway Safety.
• During my tenure 168 kms of section was converted from meter gauge lines to Broad gauge which included prestigious 120 kms MANAMADURI-RAMESWARAM providing broad gauge connectivity to Rameswaram island, 60 kms section from Tirnelvelli to Trinchendur and 8 Km dual gauge Meter/Broad gauge line from Tenkasi to Sengotta.
• The projects worth Rs 4000 million were executed successfully.
08/2005 to 06/2006 Chief Engineer / Planning & Design (11 months)
Southern Railways, Chennai
• As Chief Planning & Design Engineer I was responsible for overall planning of all projects to be undertaken in Southern Railway.
• The responsibility included review of all proposals of various departments/divisions and finalizing the new works to be undertaken by the Railway in coordination with various departments of Railway, getting approval of the “works programme” form Railway Board, and budget allotment/control & monitoring of the projects under progress in the Railway.
02/1999 to 02/2004 Resident Engineer, General Consultant to Delhi Metro (5 years)
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited, New Delhi
• Worked in General Consultants, a consortium of international firms PCI, PBI, JARTS, TONICHI & RITES (India), from Feb.’99. Involved in construction of underground metro corridor from planning to construction stage.
• Prepared tender documents and tender drawings for metro corridor tenders. Involved in station planning, finalising design specifications for tunnels, railway geometry, station architectural works, building services and construction specifications for tunnelling, concreting, steelworks, waterproofing of tunnels etc. planning of traffic diversion, utility diversion.
• Later as metro corridor contract (MC1B) coordinator I was involved in technical and financial evaluation of international bids, negotiation with international bidders and finalisation of contract worth Rs. 16500 million from Central Secretariat to ISBT station.
• I gathered vast experience in underground Metro Construction covering Cut & Cover tunnel construction, tunnel construction by Tunnel Boring Machines etc. Reviewed construction methodology submitted by tenderers for construction of cut & cover tunnels, cut & cover station boxes in hard rock and soft soils, construction of retaining structures and tunnelling by tunnel boring machines.
• Appointed as Resident Engineer on start of physical work at first underground metro site in August 2001 and was in charge of the complete supervision of Construction of 2 under ground stations 16 m deep by Cut & Cover method, Construction of 2 km long cut & cover tunnels, and Construction of 2 kms tunnels by Tunnel Boring Machine.
• First tunnels of Delhi Metro from Patel Chowk to Connaught Place were successfully completed under my direct supervision in January 2003.
• The other works executed were construction of permanent and temporary Diaphragm Walls, retaining structures in soft soils and rocks such as Soldier Piles and lagging, Sheet Piles, Rock anchors, Rock bolts, Shotcreting, Excavation in soil and rock, Strutting, Mass Concreting, Instrumentation and Monitoring of structures, tunnelling by Tunnel Boring machines, traffic planning and diversion, utility diversion etc.
1996 to 1999 Deputy Chief Engineer / Track Development (3 years)
• Areas of specialization: Manufacturing of concrete sleepers including turnout sleepers – Incharge of production, supervision, quality control & testing of manufacturing of concrete sleepers of 4 concrete sleeper plants of capacity 1 lakh sleeper / year each. Introduced for the first time production of fan shaped Turn out concrete sleepers.
• Track monitoring by Track Recording Cars – I was incharge of track monitoring and recording and analysis of results of these recording for entire N.F. Railway.
• Ultra sonic testing of rails – I was incharge of the ultrasonic rail testing team of the Railway, which was responsible for testing of more than 3000 kms rail/year. The scope included testing of newly laid track as well as running track by ultra-sonic flaw detector machine. Introduced Need Based concept of USFD testing of rails.
• Long welded rails – The responsibility included approval of plans to convert to long welded rail & all maintenance aspects of long welded rails on entire Railway.
• Thermit Welding – Incharge of Quality control of Thermit welding work undergoing in entire Railway.
1994 to 1996 Senior Divisional Engineer (2 years)
Katihar Division, N.F.Railways,
• Overall incharge for all maintenance and operation related activities of more than 1000 km of railway track of the division, all track relaying works and other civil engineering works of the division.
• Completed 100 km of renewal of old track including welding of rails.
• Expertise in track maintenance and track laying, welding of rails, conversion of short welded rail (SWR) to long welded rails (LWR).
• I was also responsible for interfacing with different departments of Railway in the diversion e.g. traffic, mechanical, electrical.
• Master of Technology in Civil Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
• Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, BHU
• Diploma in Project Management
• Managing Hazards in Urban Tunnelling – Paper presented in International Seminar on tunnelling “Tunnel Asia 2000” in September 2002 at New Delhi.
• Tunnelling for the First Tunnel of Delhi Metro – A Case Study — Paper presented in Seminar on “Productivity and speed in Tunnelling” at Dehradun in June 2003.
• Instrumentation and monitoring aspects in Construction of Delhi Metro — Paper presented in symposium by International Society of Rock Mechanics at Delhi in September, 2002.
• Design and Construction of Underground Corridor of Delhi MRTS – Paper published in Civil Engineering & Construction Review in September 2000.
• Japan – Visits to inspect Japanese Track Technology & Tunnel Engineering. Headed the delegation of “Make in India” to Japan.
• Italy – International course at SDA, Bocconi, Milan, Italy for Higher Managers of Indian Railways in April 2016.
• Australia – Visited Australian Railways in May 2013 in connection with study of heavy haul operations in Australian Railways.
• Bangkok & Singapore – Visited MRTA Bangkok and LTA Singapore Underground Metro construction works in November, 2001 to familiarise with the construction techniques being followed for construction of Metro stations and tunnels.
• Swedish Railways – I was selected by the Indian Railways for 8 weeks course “Rail Tech 97” organised by Swedish Railways in Sweden from Aug’97 to Oct’97. Areas covered during the course were – Management of Railways & Techniques of Railway line construction and Maintenance. Only two candidates were selected by IR for this course and I was one of them.